Skip to main content

Evangelistic Endeavor -- 4 (Sabb, 9/9)

SABBATH, 9/9/06

MORNING:

We had a rousing discussion during Sabbath School led by a couple of Seminarians. Then a Spirit-filled church service. There are only 30-40 people but there is a wonderful attitude of worship and joy. Prayer requests were solicited and more than half of the people shared which was good because we got to know a little bit more about what the people are going through.

There are very few men in the church. It is basically run by women which I think is great. What’s really interesting is that there are 3 or 4 new converts who are young adults that have become committed members in the last few months. Overall, a wonderful time and a good potluck (I can’t stand potlucks but the food was really good).

SECOND NIGHT:


We feel better tonight because we have gotten through a service without any major problems, except for starting late. We realized that there was too much in the program the first night so we kept it simple. Sing a few songs, have a special music, and get to the sermon. The evangelist has a clicker so he is in control of the Power Point presentation. Well, he forgot it in his hotel room. These kinds of things always seem to happen because it’s so easy to forget stuff. Luckily, it was early enough for someone to run back and get it in time. Of course, for me, that was a tense situation but it worked out okay.

The attendance was about the same as opening night. Interestingly, there was a large turnover in the visitors in attendance. There are several visitors who came back but also a large number of new visitors to replace many visitors who did not come back. My Irish friend didn’t make it back. I wasn’t expecting it because he lives far away but we’ll see if he’s back during the work week.

The sermon tonight was on the Great Controversy. In essence, it was a sermon on the Devil and what he does and his origin. The evangelist continues to weave his own personal testimony in the sermon which continues to be the best part for me and for the people. He had another appeal that was general and allowed most people to come forward. I think this is part of the strategy: Get people used to coming up for appeals so when it gets specific, like keeping the Sabbath, they are more comfortable and used to coming forward for the appeal.

After the meeting we had a good workers meeting. We discussed some of the lingering issues to work out and had good feedback and ideas from everyone. One of the issues is that we haven’t stressed enough the need to do the lessons and return the answers. So, once again, the answer is offering incentives. It was good to come together and just kind of re-group and unite together.

COMMENTARY:

Things are really going smoothly and the few issues we have are not major. I’m really happy with how well everything is running. The leaders have done a great job of thinking through everything so there are very few loose ends.

Once again, I have a problem with the sermon subject tonight. I don’t have a problem with talking about the Great Controversy and the Devil but I don’t like the placement. As I thought about the first two nights I realized that from our series thus far, people have learned more about the Devil than about God. WOW. Please ponder this for a while. I just really have a hard time with this and think it is a major problem.

The other issue for me is that the A.F. sermons use proof-texting to the max. I wish there was more in-depth study of a few passages instead of a myriad of texts for each sermon. I understand the idea of letting the Bible interpret itself but there is a fine line between that and extreme proof-texting. Finding the balance is difficult and I don’t think we’ve found it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

The Advent Struggle

I've been trying to write this for literally a month but haven't been able to. Not sure why but it just hasn't flowed. So, here's the attempt: On a regular basis, I hear from or about friends who have stopped going to church. There are numerous reasons why they are leaving but one common thread seems to be a feeling that church has become meaningless. They've felt this for a long time but kept going because they hoped it would get better or just because they'd feel guilty if they didn't. But, they aren't going to play the game anymore. The young adult exodus out of the church isn't news to really anyone but there's something important that I think will make this crisis be more severe. When you examine recent Adventist history, there have been several crises of faith including EGW and Inspiration, Desmond Ford, and Creation/Science (to a small degree). What are the characteristics of all of them? 1. They are based on a doctrinal position and are v

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false