Skip to main content

Evangelistic Endeavor -- 23 (Tues, 10/3)

TUESDAY, 10/3

TWENTIETH MESSAGE


This is the last week and is really important because decisions for baptism are needing to be cemented. Unfortunately, the attendance is again low and in the 30-40 range. One popular theory for the low attendance is the devil trying to keep people away for this key week where they will finalize their decision for baptism. This might be true but I also wonder if part of the reason is because people are worn out. It’s been a marathon and I wonder if people have gotten their fill and don’t need any more. I know that I could do without this last week. I think we’ve covered as much as we can and it’s time to give everyone a break.

The idea of spiritual warfare has been very present throughout the series. Low attendance is blamed on the devil. Many workers have had family members with health issues that has also been blamed on the devil. I’m beginning to think that we think the Devil is more powerful than God.

The low attendance has also been blamed on this “wicked” city of San Francisco. Of all the major cities, I think SF is actually one of the nicest and safest cities populated with really good people. You aren’t going to endear yourself to anyone if you call their city wicked but instead bring resistance. I know I take pride in my hometown despite the problems that exist there. Instead of blaming the devil and the wicked city, maybe we need to examine ourselves and faulty methods that are bringing poor results.

The topic tonight was on Stewardship which was a good topic because it’s not as controversial and challenging as man of the others. At the end, he had people pray for a certain amount of money and said he believed that God was going to provide that amount for them by Friday and we wanted to hear their testimonies. Actually, a woman did testify tonight about a bill she brought when we prayed over the bills a week ago. She had a $6,000 tax bill against her but she just got a notice a few days ago and all it said she owed was $400. So, we’ll see what happens with finances. I thought it was a good message but it would have been nice to do a budgeting seminar and as part of that discuss tithing.

The evangelist also shared some testimonies of how God has blessed him financially. I have been thinking about the role of testimonies in church as a result of this series. Testimonies have a powerful effect on people and are more effective at reaching people than a doctrinal sermon. This has definitely been the case with our series. However, I sometimes worry that many testimonies end up glorifying a previous life of sin. They can easily end up being more about the one testifying than giving glory to God. There is a fine line to walk and I don’t have the answers but I do worry about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

The Advent Struggle

I've been trying to write this for literally a month but haven't been able to. Not sure why but it just hasn't flowed. So, here's the attempt: On a regular basis, I hear from or about friends who have stopped going to church. There are numerous reasons why they are leaving but one common thread seems to be a feeling that church has become meaningless. They've felt this for a long time but kept going because they hoped it would get better or just because they'd feel guilty if they didn't. But, they aren't going to play the game anymore. The young adult exodus out of the church isn't news to really anyone but there's something important that I think will make this crisis be more severe. When you examine recent Adventist history, there have been several crises of faith including EGW and Inspiration, Desmond Ford, and Creation/Science (to a small degree). What are the characteristics of all of them? 1. They are based on a doctrinal position and are v

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false