Skip to main content

Confession

Augustine is considered one of the greatest theologians of all time. One of his most famous books is a biography of his life in which he tells his story of conversion and confesses many of his sins growing up. It has recently been republished in a modern translation called, "You Converted Me" which I read bits and pieces of recently. So, I've decided to confess a sin.

I have seen on a fairly regular basis an older man who lives by himself in our apartment complex. He gets out a lot and is very independent. A month ago, he was in a fairly serious car accident just a few blocks from our place. We drove by and the police were there and were taking care of everything. The next day, I saw some people bringing him into his apartment in a wheelchair and a brace on his leg. I told Shari that if we see him out we should talk to him and see if he needed any help around his apartment or going to the store. A few weeks after the accident I was walking to my car to go to my class on "Daniel." There he was coming out of his apartment with his walker going to put something in the mailbox. I could see that it was a bit of a struggle and I thought that I should help him. But, I proceeded to get in my car, turn on the ignition, start driving out the complex, the whole time thinking I should help him. As I was waiting to turn on the main road I kept on thinking I should turn around and help him, but I drove off to class so I could learn about the 2300 days.

I've been whining and complaining about how Adventism doesn't stress helping people enough. We are too wrapped up in theological debates to actually help people. And then I get the chance to help and I drive on by so I can make sure I'm in class and not miss a second of the discussion on the prophecies of Daniel.

From the second I sealed my decision to not help him, I was overcome with guilt, frustration, anger. How could I see someone so obviously in need and refuse to help? I've tried to blame it on Adventism and our overemphasis on doctrine over service. I think this is partly to blame but only very little. I've tried to justify it by saying I had a responsibility to be in class so I didn't have time. This simply doesn't work.

The bottom line is that I am so far from living out the life of Jesus it's scary. Why don't I have the heart to help and love people no matter the cost?

So I was living with this terrible guilt for weeks. I still feel awful about it. It's a good guilt because it is driving me to action. The good news is that we saw him about a week ago in his wheelchair bringing some trash over the the dumpster. We got a chance to talk to him, give him our phone number and offer any help we could. I was relieved to find out that he has family in the area, goes to the church right next door, and has a home-health worker coming to help on a regular basis. He's a really nice guy, actually a retired Lutheran Pastor who lived in Maryland for about 30 years.

He called us a few days ago with a request for help. He wanted to go see, "An Inconvenient Truth" and said if we took him he would pay. So, last night we went to see the movie which was excellent and had a great time talking with him. I hope he feels like he can rely on us for help even when we won't benefit like we did from seeing the movie.

I want to be someone who goes beyond the call of duty to help people while expecting nothing in return. I want to be someone who serves with joy.

Basically, I want to be a Christian who takes the life of Jesus seriously.

Comments

dpm said…
i think it's great that you offered your phone number, but why not offer to do something for him, instead of waiting for him to ask? do you know how hard it is for people to ask for help? (well...some people... other people seem to like it.) how about everytime you take out your trash, you go by his apartment to take out his? or how about taking him dinner?
i don't know... maybe all of those things you see him "struggling" to do are things he likes to do in order to feel more independent.
whatever the case, he probably loves people and would benefit most from genuine company. can you imagine all the things you could learn from an old preacher! dude! go hang out with him instead of catching up on 3-week-old World Cup games that you tivo'd.

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

The Advent Struggle

I've been trying to write this for literally a month but haven't been able to. Not sure why but it just hasn't flowed. So, here's the attempt: On a regular basis, I hear from or about friends who have stopped going to church. There are numerous reasons why they are leaving but one common thread seems to be a feeling that church has become meaningless. They've felt this for a long time but kept going because they hoped it would get better or just because they'd feel guilty if they didn't. But, they aren't going to play the game anymore. The young adult exodus out of the church isn't news to really anyone but there's something important that I think will make this crisis be more severe. When you examine recent Adventist history, there have been several crises of faith including EGW and Inspiration, Desmond Ford, and Creation/Science (to a small degree). What are the characteristics of all of them? 1. They are based on a doctrinal position and are v

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false