Skip to main content

Discussion with Alan Parker -- 3

Part 1
Part 2

Below is the response of Dr. Parker:

I just got back from teaching at Southern, so I’m getting through my emails. I’ll give a quick reaction to your thoughts, so forgive me if it ends up being a little knee-jerk.

First, I agree that we need to have a broader scope and try some new methods. I’m not sure that any programmed approach is going to work well with post moderns, but I think we can certainly broaden our appeal to secular people. Secondly, in terms of the three concerns about the AF lessons, you have to remember that they were written a couple of decades ago! I agree that it’s time for an update and that we need new lessons. We have a number of things in process but it’s a combination of time and money that have prevented us from getting some new material out. The lessons still work really well with a certain audience and are in harmony with the title of “Amazing Facts” study guides.

1. The lessons could be more Christ-centered and focused on the GC. We are looking at rewriting them and adding in these elements, not just as isolated lessons but as an integrated theme. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to get this project off the ground because of more pressing issues that are driving us right now and because we don’t currently have a publishing director.

2. Social issues are important. I think it’s good to build off a foundation of “message” in developing mission and to lay the doctrinal foundation before becoming a social activist, but your point is well taken. What we need here is really on another level and I have a personal passion to see a set of studies written that deal with meaning and significance and not simply truth and authority. For instance, the Sabbath is not simply about which day but which way. In a world that lives by performance, achievements and popularity, the Sabbath reminds us that God created us “to be” and not just “to do.” In the Sabbath we experience God’s perspective on our lives, our relationships and even our environment. The Sabbath tells us that we are not isolated lords the earth, destroying it at will. Rather, we exist alongside of creation as fellow participants in God’s universe. The Sabbath was all about social issues for it reminds us of God’s original design for creation. This is why the jubilee years were meant to remove slavery, the abuse of land, etc. It also indicates why there was special feeding of the poor and caring for the widows and the orphans on Sabbaths. However, there are no studies that I know of that tackle Adventist doctrines in both an evangelistic and spiritually significant way that deal with these kinds of issues and that explore the deeper elements of our doctrines while remaining simple enough for children to understand. Someday, I hope to get to write something that does this.

3. We actually do have a set of studies that begin with Biblical narratives. Doug Batchelor put together a set called Storacles, a coin he termed out of Stories and Oracles. They begin with a biblical story, develop a main insight or theme and then go into a fairly traditional Bible study. More could be done, but it’s a start. In our school of evangelism, we use narratives all the time. Sometimes, when a person is struggling with a decision, all we have to do is tell a Biblical story (Abraham leaving the land of Mesopotamia and his struggle to follow God’s leading is a favorite) and the person comes to a decision in the middle of our story. We often tell the parables of Christ while we’re giving a Bible study because they work so well to drive a point home. So, narrative is a powerful tool. We don’t have it in our main set of studies because, after all, they are Amazing Facts!

Have to run, but hope this helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

The Advent Struggle

I've been trying to write this for literally a month but haven't been able to. Not sure why but it just hasn't flowed. So, here's the attempt: On a regular basis, I hear from or about friends who have stopped going to church. There are numerous reasons why they are leaving but one common thread seems to be a feeling that church has become meaningless. They've felt this for a long time but kept going because they hoped it would get better or just because they'd feel guilty if they didn't. But, they aren't going to play the game anymore. The young adult exodus out of the church isn't news to really anyone but there's something important that I think will make this crisis be more severe. When you examine recent Adventist history, there have been several crises of faith including EGW and Inspiration, Desmond Ford, and Creation/Science (to a small degree). What are the characteristics of all of them? 1. They are based on a doctrinal position and are v

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false