Skip to main content

Four Reasons We Vaccinated Our Kids Against COVID-19

At the first chance possible we took Luke (10) and Zeke (7) to get vaccinated against COVID-19. There are four reasons we made this choice that I hope might encourage other parents to do the same. 

First, we trust the science and data that has undeniably shown that vaccinations work. They reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19 and even if you have a breakthrough case, the chance of hospitalization or even death are drastically reduced. You can see the overwhelming data from California here: https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/#postvax-status 

Without question, we have trusted our doctors and the regular immunization schedule for school. We get a flu shot every year. We give our kids Tylenol or Ibuprofen when they're sick. They’ve taken antibiotics as prescribed. We aren’t going to stop trusting our doctors now. 

Second, we’re doing it to protect their grandparents and other adults with risk factors. While the risk of serious complications for them is quite low, it is high for their grandparents, two of which we see weekly. By vaccinating them, we are protecting those more vulnerable and the ones we love the most. (NOTE: You may be surprised that in the US, nearly 17% of COVID-19 cases (last checked on January 26, 2022) are 0-17 years old. You can see that data here: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

Third, we want our boys to proactively serve and love others. I understand the concern of parents wanting to see more data and ensure there are no unintended side effects before vaccinating their kids. However, there is no way to prove any of that unless kids get vaccinated and we have data (shout-out to parents who had their kids be part of the initial trials). I have almost zero concern about the safety of the vaccine, but even if I did, I want our family to do our best to serve and help others, even when it feels risky. If my kids getting vaccinated can help prove the efficacy of the vaccine, I hope our family can serve the world in this way. I have thought about one of my kids having some complication from the vaccine. Even if that happens, I will not regret the decision. Vaccines save lives and if my kid gets a complication, I trust they will take that experience to help ensure other kids don’t experience the same. 

Fourth, vaccines are the path back to normalcy. These last two years have been tough on everyone but we needed to make some sacrifices to save lives. Now, with vaccines, we have the chance to get rid of quarantines, masks, and being afraid of having potlucks. If you want school to be normal again, get your kids vaccinated. 

I’m not interested in debating online about this. However, if you genuinely are struggling with this decision and would like to talk, I’m happy to do so by phone. Send me an email and we can setup a time to chat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

The Advent Struggle

I've been trying to write this for literally a month but haven't been able to. Not sure why but it just hasn't flowed. So, here's the attempt: On a regular basis, I hear from or about friends who have stopped going to church. There are numerous reasons why they are leaving but one common thread seems to be a feeling that church has become meaningless. They've felt this for a long time but kept going because they hoped it would get better or just because they'd feel guilty if they didn't. But, they aren't going to play the game anymore. The young adult exodus out of the church isn't news to really anyone but there's something important that I think will make this crisis be more severe. When you examine recent Adventist history, there have been several crises of faith including EGW and Inspiration, Desmond Ford, and Creation/Science (to a small degree). What are the characteristics of all of them? 1. They are based on a doctrinal position and are v

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false