Skip to main content

The First Few Days

While the Dems have been taking control of Congress, I've been taking Richmond by storm.

After spending around 19 straight years in school, I finally was confronted with the real world. I love school and studying but towards the end it was wearing me down. You can only talk and think while taking little action for so long. Theory needed to be supplemented by action.

I honestly had and still have no idea what to expect. Living in a new city, buying a home for the first time, and serving as a full-time pastor on a multi-staff team are all brand new experiences for me. The scheduled and regimented world of class, tests, and grades to objectively assess performance have been a source of comfort and normality that has been completely thrown out.

What now? Well, I've learned a few things about pastoral life in my first two weeks:

1. Names, Names, Names. Unfortunately for me, they tend to go in one ear and out the other. I definitely am not gifted in this area. I think learning names reveals that you care so I'm very committed to it but it's VERY difficult. Anyone know a good trick?

2. People love you when you start. Who knows how long the honeymoon will last but everyone has been extremely supportive and welcoming. I truly feel loved and that people want us to be around.

3. No more nights. I have just completed my fourth night out in a row. Monday was board meeting. Tuesday was Pastor's meeting with new Conference President. Wednesday was prayer meeting. Thursday was school board meeting. It's not a big deal since Shari isn't working yet but if she was working a 9-5 I wouldn't have see her until 9 every night.

4. Scheduling. I'm so used to having my schedule be laid out for me. Class schedules have ruled my life for years but now I don't have that. I really have to be disciplined with my time and make sure that I maximize the time Shari will be at work so when we're both home, we can have quality time together.

5. Speaking, Speaking, and More Speaking. Half of your job is about sermons, worship talks, and Bible studies. Worship services, board meetings, prayer meetings, pastor's Sabbath School all demand some sort of talk or lesson. How am I going to keep the well from running dry?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Discovering (through lots of pain) that pastoral ministry is art, rather than technique or production, came a little too late for my first parish. That realization was my big breakthrough that allowed me to thrive at my 2nd church.

I wish you life-saving breakthroughs.
j said…
Trevan, this is all very exciting yeah?

Of course you know you've got a lot of people interested in you and your success and you should call on them for support and conversation.

I was going to try and say something thoughtful but Julius and Ryan were like spot on so just know you are in the thoughts of many persons who care about you.

Blessings!
-johnny

ps.
I suppose I could say that in ministry you have no greater ally than your spouse and to keep her close and happy but that is sort of a given yeah?
Anonymous said…
All the best, I'm trying to think back to when I started 5 years ago... I've put some tips (tongue firmly in cheek) on my own blog!
kumardixit said…
Trevan,

Welcome to the world of ministry. It is a tough balance, especially when your work is your passion. There is very little accountability in ministry, in fact, it seems at time that you are rewarded for working long days, nights, and weekends. I was mentioning to a collegue today, that we should get paid time in a half on weekends. My most important advice is not to work four nights a week. The church will have an attitude that since you don't have kids, you don't have any thing better to do, so you have free time. They must learn very early into the honeymoon that free time doesn't involve church week - rather being home 3-4 nights a week shows you respect your wife and family time. I won't work more than 3 nights in one week, and it has been very healthy. peace,
JDavidNewman said…
I will comment on one area: remembership names. Names are so important to people. Not only do I work on memorizing the adult names I also memorize the children's names. We have over 800 adults and kids at New Hope so this is quite a challenge. One of the best ways is to take pictures. I make up my own pictorial directory and when I have my morning devotions I don;t just pray over names but i pray over faces. It makes a big difference

Popular posts from this blog

The Advent Struggle -- Part 2

There's been a lot of excellent discussion on the previous post. I've stayed out of it for the most part to let everyone else let their thoughts be known. I thought I would write another post explaining my thoughts in a little more detail. There has been some discussion over this issue of style versus theology (At least at the very beginning). I think I might have used that terminology and I want to clarify that I reject the false dichotomy of style VERSUS theology because our style and methodologies REVEAL our theology. The methods we use to present a message tends to reveal as much about the message as the message itself. In no way do I believe that all young adults want praise music, full band, nice lyric graphics projected, etc. However, I think that the 90% (no real data just a guesstimate) of Adventist churches who think of that worship style as being from the devil reveals one of the major issues at the heart of the crisis -- The Adventist response to culture. The tradit

A Jehovah's Witness Connection

This morning I was enjoying last night's episode of "The Daily Show" (THANK YOU TIVO!) when the doorbell rang. I couldn't figure out who it was through the peephole but I decided to answer the door anyways. A man had a little pamphlet which he gave me and asked me to read it and left. No pressure, just leaving it with me. So, who was it? My initial reaction was that it must be a Jehovah's Witness but I've found most of them are much more confrontational and never just leave something in your hand without arguing over something. I began to think it might have been an Adventist. Well, what did the pamphlet look like and what did it talk about? The front declared, "The End of False Religion is Near!" Inside it described false religions as those that meddle in war and politics, spread false doctrine, and tolerate immoral sex. On the next page, what did I see but decpictions of scary beasts and the scarlet woman of Revealtion. The text describes how false

Life of a Pastor

It was shaping up to be a long, draining Sabbath an Adventist pastor experiences quite often. I got up around 7am and didn't finish the day until 10pm (I did get a chance to sneak a nap in so that helped). Although too long, it provided a lot of thought-provoking experiences that made it manageable. The week turned out to be filled with good news. On Monday, a member had a baby so that was exciting. Another member had back surgery on Tuesday that went well. Wednesday, one of our members' sons was had a very rare and serious surgery. It literally took all day but by late afternoon we got the great news that everything had gone well. So, we were coming to church in a celebrative mood. Then, before Sabbath School started, a mother and daughter-in-law were crying and hugging each other because another daughter-in-law was given bad news about her cancer. The doctors have told her she has two months to live. This actual is quite typical in church. You have people coming full of prais